I believe in beer. – Andy Nelson
Locavore Beer Works is a small brewery and bar west of Old Town Littleton on Denver’s south side. Founders and Brewmasters Andy Nelson and Jason Reinhardt were long-time home brewers who also shared a belief in eating and spending locally. In October 2013, they decided to take their brewing game to the next level and within 13 months, they opened the doors. Locavore Beer Works reflects both their taste in beer as well as their commitment to local sourcing. Andy and Jason still love connecting with home brewers in their neighborhood brewery.
When we talked to Andy and Jason in April 2015, they’d only been in business five months but had already built a solid following and they’re still going strong now as of this writing.
– IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN –
- What home brewing was like before the Internet
- How local beer movement is a partnership with the local food movement
- What ingredients are easy to source locally and which aren’t
- What the biggest surprises are going home brewing to scale brewing
- What local brewing looked like before Prohibition and where we are now
- How to drink most locally (hint…drink what’s seasonal)
- How big, and even the biggest beer companies, can play a positive role
- If organic matters (or is gluten free getting all the attention for now)
- If we’re in a craft beer “bubble” poised to pop
– LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE –
- Locavore Beer Works
- How to Brew by John J. Palmer
- Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff
- Savory Spice Shop in Littleton
- Royal Crest Dairy
- “Pumpkin Peach Ale” ad from Budweiser
- Snarky reply from Ninkasi Brewing (Eugene, OR) and the (Craft) Brewers Assn
- Coors’ Colorado Native Hop Growing Program
- New Belgium Brewing Co.
- Brewers Association Lists Top 50 (Craft) Breweries Of 2014 (Colorado has five. Try them!)
– THANKS FOR LISTENING –
Please give me your feedback in the comments section below! I want to make this show great for you and I will read every one of your comments, I promise.
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with someone your care about (or everyone you know ? ) using the sharing buttons above or below.
Also, please leave an honest review for Mile High Locavorist on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful in growing the message and are greatly appreciated!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes (or via any podcast app) to see all our past episodes and get new episodes automatically as soon as they’re released.
Thanks again for listening to Mile High Locavorist! Until next time, wherever you are, eat local!